Hello Adrian,
I did some tests and discovered that the problem is related to
"halt"/"shutdown" of system. If "reboot" is carried out than there is no
problem and the wifi works properly (even if done from Gnome - Gnome seems
to have no relation to the problem). So what could lead to "ath0: time out"
after shutting down or halting the system? I noticed that there are irq
storms on irq 17 which is the wifi irq (interrupt storm detected on
"irq17:"; throttling interrupt source). Something else that I am not sure
to have relevance - after shutdown during the start-up ath0 is reported to
use autoselect mode 11g:
(below is from dmesg)
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290

        ether 00:19:7e:91:xx:xx
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
        status: associated

After the boot has finished the mode changes to 11a:

#ifconfig ath0
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
        ether 00:19:7e:91:xx:xx
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11a
        status: associated

Do you have any idea where to look for now?

Regards,

Lyubomir
P.S. I will try to play with acpi_ibm.ko and see if things change if I make
it auto-load.