Does anyone know enough about the various Atheros devices to tell me the
differences between various radios, output power, sensitivity and expected
range?

For various reasons, I am thinking of replacing my present FreeBSD ALIX
router by a COTS OpenWRT router such as the TP-Link WDR3600.

Current hardware is a WNC DNMA-83 AR9160 chipset and I'm only using 2.4GHz.

The TP-Link has a AR9340 for 2.4GHz and a AR9582 for 5GHz. I read somewhere
that it seems to be capped at 63 mW / 18 dBm (for 5GHz at least)... I
wonder if this is better or worse than my current setup.

Thanks for any insights!

Sven