On Oct 15, 2013 12:26 PM, "Kris Moore" <k...@pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/15/2013 11:15, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > Well, up until now the interactions have all been via the ioctl API or
the
> > ifconfig command. Both are cumbersome.
> >
> > There's a decent amount of library code in ifconfig for wifi and
regulatory
> > related stuff. It could be broken out into a public library..
> >
> > -adrian
> >

> Yea, our PC-BSD network utils are using a mixture of C ioctl and
> "ifconfig" parsing, +1 for a public library API at some point ;)

This really is somthing that should be brought to the FreeBSD foundations
attetion.
As an example the network manager in Gnome hasn't been ported for years,
and I belive the largest part of the reason is lack of an API.

The importance of this really can't be underestimated.
Is there a formal way, to propose a project to the FreeBSD foundation?

Sam Fourman Jr.