from Warren Block and my previous message:

> "hostap" is to make a FreeBSD system with a wireless card into a
> wireless router.
> > Access point, if I understand correctly, would have a wired
> > connection, such as cable or DSL, and the other computer, with the
> > wireless adapter, would have the Atheros or other wireless adapter.
> No, a router generally has at least two network interfaces.  A FreeBSD
> wireless router would have both wired and wireless interfaces.

I have a wireless router, but not a FreeBSD wireless router as such.

Wireless router has four Ethernet ports and a little antenna, is
connected by an Ethernet cable to a cable modem which is in turn
connected to cable jack.

If this router is the access point, I guess I wouldn't use hostap on
ifconfig command line.  Use "wlanmode sta" in ifconfig?