On Tue, February 4, 2014 5:30 pm, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Waitman Gobble wrote:

>>> I considered that, but I've heard rumours about laptop BIOSes
>>> blacklisting wifi cards from other manufacturers, so I figured a USB
>>> device was an easier solution.
>>>

>> That's a potential issue. I've only seen that happen with HP laptops,
>> but you should research before spending the ten bucks.
>
> Lenovo does it too.  So far, I have not encountered an Acer or Dell with
> the problem.  Recent Toshiba models are made by Acer, but I can't recall
> changing the wireless card in one.
>
> Dell often uses Broadcom cards.  It would be nice if the new Broadcom
> partipation in FreeBSD would extend to improving their wireless drivers.

Here, here. BC working would be nice indeed. I kind of helped those two
guys when they started. It's possible I fabricated their first 'heartbeat'
out of hmmm 1/4" rod. And the first sets of chasis. And it came back to
cause me problems over the years. :)

Anyway, I haven't noticed that going on with Asus either.

There are documented ways around the stalled boot but none of them are
pretty.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA