It's likely part the firmware and pat the driver.

Yeah, we need a way to recover from a firmware crash. I and others in
the open source community don't have documentation to know what the
hell is or isn't permissable with firmware :(

Ed - the reason why ieee80211_runtask() doesn't always run is because
it can get paused during things like scanning and interface-down
things. Your best bet is to create a new taskqueue in iwn and a task
that runs on an iwn taskqueue.

(And yeah, I really do need to rip out the taskqueue abuse by the
net80211 scan code so a scan doesn't stop tasks from running. Grr.)

-a