Sounds like the NIC isn't waking up right, or something odd with
interrupts. I don't have a laptop with a 3160 to diagnose, sorry.

There's lots of missing code from the openbsd port rui based things
on, so it's totally unsurprising to find there are corner cases of
things not working.

As for running too hot - the openbsd port ignored power management..
:( That also has to be ported.

Thanks,

-adrian