The firmware is loaded when interface starts running; try to execute
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev run0 up

Thank you Andriy, that solved my problem and made me recheck my rc.conf which should already be configured to start the interface automatically. I then found an embarrassing misspelling. I had written rum0 instead of run0 in the line that reads 'wlans_run0="wlan0"'. I knew I had done something stupid and I apologize for the noise.

The device is no longer visible via ifconfig; use 'sysctl net.wlan.devices'
instead.

Vital information that is now memorized. Thank you once again for your help.

Regards
Morgan