I observed the problem using a laptop with FreeBSD 11 with TP-LINK device TL-WDN3200 (N600), driver if_run, at one location with these two routers:

Xxx  a0:3d:NN:NN:NN:22    6   54M  -27:-50   100 E BSSLOAD HTCAP WME
 - good quality
Xxx a0:3d:NN:NN:NN:0d 48 54M -25:-48 100 E BSSLOAD HTCAP VHTCAP VHTOPMODE WME
 - very poor quality

Whole lot of other people were using wifi in the same room. I assume most of them didn't have any problem.

When my laptop connected to the second router, connection was extremely slow, to the degree of being unusable.

The first router though worked fine, I assume other people were equally distributed between them. S:N ratios were fluctuating so that the second was stronger at times.

Is it possible that VHTCAP VHTOPMODE have something to do with the problem?

Yuri