On 27 Oct 2018, at 16:01, tech-lists wrote:

Hi,

context: 12-stable amd64

When TP-LINK TL-WN321G usb dongle is inserted, this appears in dmesg:

ugen1.3: <Ralink 802.11 n WLAN> at usbus1
..
run0: MAC/BBP RT5390 (rev 0x0502), RF RT5370 (MIMO 1T1R), address [REDACTED]
..
and run0 appears, and works, yet:

rum(4) says it supports this:
TP-LINK TL-WN321G

but no rum0 happens either on insertion (using standard GENERIC kernel) or with rum loaded.

The problem with these dongles is that sometimes there’s a rev A and a rev B which use entirely different chipsets and hence are entirely different drivers. That is rarely observable from online shopping sites or even product packaging. I haven’t checked this particular case but if you can send me a usbconfig dump_device_desc for it I can go an have a look.

/bz