Still working on my mailing list etiquette ...

On 7/21/2020 11:11 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 20:03, Aaron <notjanede...@gmail.com <mailto:notjanede...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 7/21/2020 10:53 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
    > As a data source yes, but I'd /love/ ours to be more structured.
    > Parsing the wireless-regdb format is ... lol.
    >

    > -a
    Fair enough.  This data also has a 1:1 mapping between country and
    regulatory domain.  You mentioned Atheros earlier, is this 1:many
    country:rd mapping necessary or just an artifact of how they coded
    things?

I mean, both are true. For atheros hardware we do that already in the driver; and for other NICs that need local weird channel/sku bits they can implement themselves. :-)

-adrian

So Atheros and the Japanese are on their own.  In that case, the data that's needed is ... what's already in the wireless-regdb file?  You've got:

 * Country
 * Regulatory domain name (albeit only FCC, ETSI and JP), /which isn't
   actually used for anything!/  The details for each country are
   stored directly, there's no referring to the regulatory domains at all.
 * Frequencies and channel widths.
 * TX power (in db OR mW, if that needs to be normalised someone's
   going to have to supply me with a reference or a formula)
 * Flags.  Once the data's parsed we can get a complete list of these.

Is there anything else needed?  And given that each country is a self-contained dataset, what do we need the regulatory domain name for beyond a label?