From: owner-freebsd-...@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-...@freebsd.org] On
Behalf Of Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:07 AM
To: Deb Heller-Evans
Cc: freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: 64-bit Centos5 xen kernel and creating a FreeBSD domU

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 14:12 -0800, Deb Heller-Evans wrote:
> I'm new to Xen, and have been digging around the Internet.  I have a
> Xen CentOS kernel installed on an Intel 64-bit system:
>
> Linux myhost.com 2.6.18-92.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 19:20:18 EDT 2008
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Using:
> xen-3.0.3-64.el5_2.9,
> kernel-xen-2.6.18-92.el5
>
> I need to learn FreeBSD, and so I thought I'd do it under CentOS using
> Xen.  My intent was to load FreeBSD 7.x as a domU, but as I perused
> the Internet, I am seeing that there are issues with Intel 64-bit
> CentOS systems and that the domU kernel needs to have PAE support (I
> have 16GB memory on my system).
>
> Given the current state of the Universe, and the fact that I know next
> to nothing about FreeBSD at the moment, does anyone have any sage
> advise and recommendations for me?
Given that you are new to FreeBSD, I would recommend building fully-virtualized
(as opposed to paravirtualized) domU, provided that your hardware and software
supports that. That would give you stable FreeBSD playground from which you
could move on to -CURRENT, with its Xen support, when you feel comfortable with
the platform. I am running fully-virtualized FreeBSD 6.4 domU under OpenSuSE
11.0/Xen 3.2.1 and it seems to be quite happy. I have picked 6.4 just because
that was what I needed at the time, but I suspect that 7.1 would work too.

Just my 2c.