On Sun, 24 May 2009, Ed Schouten wrote:

* Adrian Chadd <adr...@freebsd.org> wrote:
* Modify the xenconsole driver to attach to ttyv0 (via a kernel environment variable) so /etc/ttys doesn't need modifying (but this may confuse tools that assumes /dev/ttyvX == syscons.)

Please don't. Someone on IRC told me Xen also has some framebuffer feature. Say, someone would port syscons to Xen, the naming would conflict with the console device node. /dev/xc0 is good enough. I even think it should have been called ttyx0, not xc0.

Given that there will be increasing levels of support for "pass-through" hardware access in virtual machine environments and a trend in the direction of virtualization-friendly hardware, we shouldn't preclude the possibility of something a lot closer to syscons working inside of Xen in the future. This means we should leave the syscons device names open so that syscons can claim them if desired.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge