Just don't dick around with that stuff unless you're an actual developer! :)

stick to a distribution you get support from. I'd suggest CentOS.
Centos/redhat are at least caring about Xen PVM/HVM support. Ubuntu
for example seems to really only care about KVM these days. No idea
about the rest.

Adrian