On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:51 AM, Deploy IS INFO wrote:

> Kostik Belousov wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:36:00PM -0800, Timothy Bisson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to run a FreeBSD 8/CURRENT hvm on XEN, but booting FreeBSD
>>> currently panics on a quad-core Operton 2352 box while booting from  the
>>> iso (disabling ACPI doesn't help).
>>>
>>> However, I'm successful at running a FreeBSD 8/CURRENT hvm on XEN on a
>>> Intel Xeon Nehalem box. I tried booting the same installed disk image
>>> (from the Nehalem box) on the Operteron box, but that also resulted in  a
>>> panic while booting.
>>>
>>> The CURRENT iso I'm using is from:
>>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201001/FreeBSD-9.0-CURRENT-201001-amd64-bootonly.iso
>>>
>>> I'm using Xen-3.3.1 on both physical boxes, and a BSD 6 hvm works on  both
>>> the Nehalem and Operton boxes...
>>>
>>> Here's the backtrace from the opteron box:
>>> kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled
>>>

>>> Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
>>> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
>>> instruction pointer = 0x20:0xffffffff80878193
>>> stack pointer               = 0x28:0xffffffff81044bb0
>>> frame pointer               = 0x28:0xffffffff81044bc0
>>> code segment                = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>>>                     = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
>>> processor eflags    = resume, IOPL = 0
>>> current process             = 0 ()
>>> [thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
>>> Stopped at      pmap_invalidate_cache_range+0x43:        clflushl
>>> (%rdi)
>>> db> bt
>>> bt
>>> Tracing pid 0 tid 0 td 0xffffffff80c51fc0
>>> pmap_invalidate_cache_range() at pmap_invalidate_cache_range+0x43
>>> pmap_change_attr_locked() at pmap_change_attr_locked+0x368
>>> pmap_change_attr() at pmap_change_attr+0x43
>>> pmap_mapdev_attr() at pmap_mapdev_attr+0x112
>>> lapic_init() at lapic_init+0x29
>>> madt_setup_local() at madt_setup_local+0x26
>>> apic_setup_local() at apic_setup_local+0x13
>>> mi_startup() at mi_startup+0x59
>>> btext() at btext+0x2c
>>>

>>> I took a look through the bug database and didn't see any similar  problem
>>> reports. Is it reasonable to file a bug report? Is there  additional
>>> information that I should be reporting?
>> Set hw.clflush_disable=1 at the loader prompt.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying also FreeBSD8 on a nehalem box. When I configure more than 2 vcpus
> for the HVM guest I met with the following:
>
> - With the XENHVM kernel the boot simply stops when the message about WITNESS
> performance came. No debug messages, nothing, just stops there and the PV
> drivers just attaches before the message
>
> - With the GENERIC kernel the re driver somehow fails to receive packages
> when 4 vcpus configured. Tcpdump showed that packages are going out, but
> somehow none received. I'd say it's not really a FreeBSD problem, but it's
> wierd enough.
>
> Could you verify these these two problem on the Opteron and your Nehalem
> machine? We are also using Xen-3.3.1.
>
> Regards,
> Andras

The XENHVM kernel works fine (both boxes) with more than 2 vcpus. I received a
panic regarding the xn driver, but that went away once I configured the vif to
use netfront.

I don't know what model you specify to use the re driver, but the ed and em
drivers work fine.