On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 11:19 +0100, Zladivliba Voskuy wrote:
> I'm just replying the thread to indicate that I've created a blog to join
> efforts building FreeBSD on EC2 ; if you have time and are interested about
> making this happen, inform me of your efforts, I'm trying to follow
> everything that's going on on the subject :  http://freebsdec2.wordpress.com/

I know it's not quite EC2 (or Xen, so please excuse the posting to
freebsd-xen) but until Kip Macy gets a chance to make it happen on EC2
we're using CloudSigma and ElasticHosts for FreeBSD in the cloud. They
use KVM as a virtualisation platform and stock FreeBSD runs nicely on
it, and their prices aren't too far off what EC2 provide. They've both
got a very nice API too.

The only tweak you need to make is to set hw.mca.enable="0" on the
FreeBSD boot prompt. CloudSigma have a library image (like an AMI) which
includes this tweak (disclosure: I published this disk image).

See http://www.cloudsigma.com/about-us/press-releases/179 for
CloudSigma's recent press release about FreeBSD support and see
 for info on the MCA bug and the fix. ElasticHosts are worth a mention too:
they use a very similar platform but have data centres is San Antonio, Texas
and London, UK. CloudSigma are based in Zurich, Switzerland only.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Best Regards,
Luke Marsden
CTO, Hybrid Logic Ltd.