Hi,

2011/4/24 David Markey <ad...@dmarkey.com>:
I've done some more searching on this (remember those people that say
you don't need to know, you just need to look up? I wonder if they
imagined hours of googling instead of *knowing*)

> I'm not sure FreeBSD has anything listening on the guest side.

Interesting read:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-changelog/2009-04/msg00067.html

So I checked for "xm trigger" on my dom0 and it had the command (Xen 4.0.1)

It has the following options and is not documented in the xm manpage.

"waxh0002:~# xm trigger
Usage: xm trigger <Domain> <nmi|reset|init|s3resume|power> [<VCPU>]

Send a trigger to a domain."

Using xm trigger xen08 power the FreeBSD domU immediately started
shutdown (at usual FreeBSD speed, so it was gone roughly 1-2 seconds
later).

I'll try to find out why it's not hooked into xm shutdown per Default
and I very strongly assume it's the typical Xen problem of the last 3
years: Actually enabling the features is an exercise left for the
reader. :)

I would be interested if anyone could test this on Xen 4.1.
  - it might be already working there
  - it might be working when using "xl" isntead of "xm"
  - it might have been forgotten in "xl" and not work in "xm"

Thanks for your help so far!

Greetings,
Florian

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and