On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, laurent.cli...@gmail.com wrote:

I currently use XenCloud Platform 1.0 on a Dell R210 server hosting 4
VMs. 3 FreeBSD 8.2 with XENHVM kernel and 1 Linux Debian. At first I was
willing to have only FreeBSD VMs, but I had a strange problem when NAT
was enabled on the front FreeBSD Vm that had the public IP address.
Network bandwidth from backend FreeBSD VMs to Internet and from Internet
to backend VMs was incredibly slow, tested with NAT feature of PF and
with natd, same problem, also with GENERIC kernel. Bandwidth between all
VMs was correct, only when passing the NATed public interface caused
problem. That's why I put a Linux box for NAT, which is working
perfectly now.

It would have been nice if you had tested (for the test only), one physichal machine with FreeBSD doing nat and the other three vm under Xen with FreeBSD, to see if problem persists...this way we could figure now if the problem was something to do with Xen or with the own FreeBSD configuration... although I assume the problem is in the last one...

So far it was the only problem I had with FreeBSD and Xen Cloud Platform.

My FreeBSD VMs are serving nginx + rails and python apps, PostgreSQL and
MySQL databases, and the perf is good for now. VMs disks are LVM
partitions of XenCloud, not files.

Hope this helps.

Of course!!
Thanks a lot mate,