Dear users,

I've set up a freebsd 8.2 xen domU under debian squeeze, and have compiled a kernel with the attached config.

The first compilation error is here, due to -Werror:
# cc -c -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -march=prescott -std=c99 -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -nostdinc -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/altq -D_KERNEL -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS -include opt_global.h -fno-common -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -Werror /usr/src/sys/i386/xen/xen_machdep.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/src/sys/i386/xen/xen_machdep.c:217: warning: 'xpq_queue_log' defined but not used

Then for some reason I've chosen to add an #ifdef around the mentioned variable, and then the kernel compiled well, and worked well.

Then I decided to strip more options from the kernel I dont use, so I removed SCTP from the config. Recompiled the kernel, and with that kernel, the domU crashes upon creation, nothing gets logged on the console.

I would like to investigate this problem, why does removing an unreferenced variable make the kernel crash upon creation?

But, unfortunately I cannot make my xen dom0 to make coredumps of the domains, for some reason only empty files get created under /var/xen/dump/. Do someone have experience with this?

Anyway, I am trying to use freebsd as a xen PV domU, as in my experience a PV domU can be much faster than a HVM domU. Is it true?

Regards,

Kojedzinszky Richard
TvNetWork Nyrt.
E-mail: krichy (at) tvnetwork [dot] hu
PGP: 0x54B2BF0C8F59B1B7
  Fingerprint = F6D4 3FFE AF03 CACF 0DCB  46A1 54B2 BF0C 8F59 B1B7
#
# XEN -- Kernel configuration for i386 XEN DomU
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/XEN,v 1.9.2.2.2.1 2010/12/21 17:09:25 kensmith
Exp $

cpu             I686_CPU
ident           XI

#makeoptions    DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
makeoptions     MODULES_OVERRIDE=""

#options        SCHED_4BSD
options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
#options        PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption

options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         SCTP                    # Stream Control Transmission Protocol
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
#options        UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big directories
options         NULLFS
#options        UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS journaling
#options        NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
#options        NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
#options        NFSLOCKD                # Network Lock Manager
#options        NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
#options        MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
#options        CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
options         GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
#options        COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat (sgtty)
#options        COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
#options        COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
#options        COMPAT_FREEBSD6         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
#options        COMPAT_FREEBSD7         # Compatible with FreeBSD7
#options        KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
#options        STACK                   # stack(9) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         AUDIT                   # Security event auditing

# Debugging for use in -current
#options        KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
#options        DDB                     # Support DDB.
#options        GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
#options        INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity checking
#options        INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal
structures, required by INVARIANTS
#options        WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks and
cycles
#options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for
speed

options         PAE
nooption        NATIVE
option          XEN
nodevice        atpic
nodevice        isa
options         MCLSHIFT=12

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two lines are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#device         apic                    # I/O APIC

device          pci

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
#device         tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
#device         gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#device         faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

device          pf
device          pflog

options         MAC
options         MAC_BIBA