Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:37:38 -0700
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gi...@scsiguy.com>
To: Richard Kojedzinszky <kri...@tvnetwork.hu>
Cc: Colin Percival <cperc...@freebsd.org>, freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64 xen hvm shutdown

On Feb 2, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Richard Kojedzinszky wrote:

Dear users,

I am trying to compare the 8.2 i386 PV mode and 9.0 amd64 hvm mode, regarding

$ xm shutdown

from outside.

While 8.2 PV shuts down well, 9.0 hvm does not. Is it an issue of the xen
hypervisor, or of freebsd?

What experience do others have?

If you are using a FreeBSD amd64 kernel with Xen PV drivers installed, shutdown
behavior is controlled
by the PV "control" driver.  This driver notices updates to the
"control/shutdown" node in the XenStore and
is supposed to act accordingly.  For a reboot or power off event, it simply
calls
shutdown_nice(RB_POWEROFF|RB_HALT), or shutdown_nice(0) as appropriate.  If you
can capture the
value of the shutdown node in the XenStore, it should be pretty easy to debug
this.

--
Justin