On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:55:44AM -0600, Trix Farrar wrote:
> I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but here are a
> couple of issues that keep this from being a complete win.

Yes, I missed something obvious.  I was overthinking things.

>   * Kernel ignoring/not-getting arguments from the domain builder.
>     This means that the kernel can''t find its root device.

Boot arguments _are_ passed to the kernel correctly.  The part that I
missed is that they are passed literally.  I had used the following:

xe vm-param-set \
    uuid=$VM_UUID \

This meant that what the kernel saw for vfs.root.mountfrom was "'ufs:xbd0s1a",
so it was
ignoring it becuase there is no "'ufs" filesystem type.  By removing
the single quotes around the "--args" portion, the kernel boots just
fine.  btw: "kern.hz" is 100 by default, so that part isn't needed
either.  The following PV-bootloader-args command allows the VM to
boot normally and unattended:

xe vm-param-set \
    uuid=$VM_UUID \

So, I'm willing to call it a win!

John D. "Trix" Farrar               __\\|//__               Basement.NET
t...@basement.net                   (` o-o ')   http://www.basement.net/
   GPG Key Fprint: 525F DBA7 1A62 E4C4 E642  DF95 384B B851 3CEF C10A