On 05-28 20:47, Lukas Laukamp wrote:
> Am 28.05.2012 20:02, schrieb Carsten Heesch:
> >Hi Lukas,
> >
> >>[...] I don't know whether there is support for Xen Dom0 on FreeBSD.
> >Unfortunately there isn't.
> >
> >>I read that NetBSD support Xen Dom0 [...]
> >I haven't tried myself, but apparently NetBSD works rather well as Dom0.
> >That has long been on my list of things to test, though :)
> >
> >Not sure if you are aware of it, but in order to run FreeBSD as DomU, you
> >don't need FreeBSD or NetBSD as Dom0. That works just as well on your Debian
> >Dom0. (With FreeBSD's known limitations as DomU, namely memory and
> >architecture depending on PV or HVM virtualisation)
> >

> >Cheers
> >C.
> >

> Hello Carsten,
>
> thanks for your fast answer. That FreeBSD as DomU runs on Linux I
> know. So I only think that it is a bit tricky to build a PV DomU of
> FreeBSD because the kernel must be modified.

Debian distributes Xen enabled freebsd kernel images in official repository.
This
is part of kfreebsd-* arch, but kernel images are also available for
i386 and amd64 distributions (on Linux kernel), for easy installation.

For example just do:

apt-get install kfreebsd-image-9.0-1-xen

and kernel should be available in the /boot/ directory.

You can use this kernel to install both kfreebsd-* as well official
freebsd using iso images.

It doesn't involve compiling anything at all. I can find old post where
I described it in detail. (it basically uses serial console to install
freebsd using standard installer and standard iso image).

Regards,
Witek

--
Witold Baryluk