On 05-28 20:47, Lukas Laukamp wrote:
> Am 28.05.2012 20:02, schrieb Carsten Heesch:
> >Hi Lukas,
> >
> >>[...] I don't know whether there is support for Xen Dom0 on FreeBSD.
> >Unfortunately there isn't.
> >
> >>I read that NetBSD support Xen Dom0 [...]
> >I haven't tried myself, but apparently NetBSD works rather well as Dom0.
> >That has long been on my list of things to test, though :)
> >
> >Not sure if you are aware of it, but in order to run FreeBSD as DomU, you
> >don't need FreeBSD or NetBSD as Dom0. That works just as well on your Debian
> >Dom0. (With FreeBSD's known limitations as DomU, namely memory and
> >architecture depending on PV or HVM virtualisation)
> >

> >Cheers
> >C.
> >

> Hello Carsten,
>
> thanks for your fast answer. That FreeBSD as DomU runs on Linux I
> know. So I only think that it is a bit tricky to build a PV DomU of
> FreeBSD because the kernel must be modified. I wan't to have another
> system like Linux as the host because I think that the BSDs are
> better in the stability and a few other points. I read in the
> english Wikipedia article about Xen that there is support for
> NetBSD, OpenBSD and OpenSolaris
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen#Host:_Unix-like_systems).

BTW. I read yeasterday that Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V is able to
run XEN PV domU Linux on it. It probably is also able to run other Xen
domU guests, but probably nobody was trying to do so. I do not know
details, but it was what I read about Hyper-V hypervisor on Wikipedia.
In fact it looks like independent implementation of Xen compatible
hypervisor (it uses same hypercall api, but I do not know with which
version of Xen it is compatible) with Windows as dom0.

Not that anybody would want to run it, but just saying.

--
Witold Baryluk