The following reply was made to PR kern/166174; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Bill Cole" <>
Subject: Re: kern/166174: [xen] Problems ROOT MOUNT ERROR &lt;freebsd 8.3&gt;
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:30:14 -0400

 That appears to be more helpful than I would have expected.
 It looks like stable/8 includes r233791 of 2012-04-02 which is described
     MFC Revision 233465
     Correct failure to attach the PV block front device on Citrix
     XenServer configurations that advertise the multi-page ring
     but only allow a single page of ring space.
 Sounds promising, and the small change (only to
 sys/dev/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c) was not MFC'd into RELENG_8_3.
 Looks like my next step will be to switch my csup tag to RELENG_8