On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:48:29 -0600, Jeroen van der Ham <jer...@dckd.nl> wrote:

Today I started with an upgrade process of my VPS which has been running 9.0 XENHVM almost a full year. I followed the process as outlined on the Handbook[1]. I may have made a mistake in placing back the right old kernel, but a new GENERIC kernel did not get installed.

I was able to boot into the 9.1 system using my old 9.0 XENHVM kernel. I have been trying to fix this, but I keep running into problems:

- I manually downloaded and extracted the 9.1 GENERIC kernel. Booting from that results in a rootmount mismatch (ada0 vs ad0). Just renaming it in /etc/fstab does not seem to be enough, what else would I need to do?

Yes, the GENERIC kernel uses adaX and the XENHVM kernel uses adX. It shouldn't be a problem to just change it in the fstab though. I've not yet had problems running 9.1 with XENHVM yet.

- I manually built a new 9.1 XENHVM kernel. Booting from that results in the message: "pudna: fpcurthread == curthread xx times" scrolling by. What can I do to fix that?

I've not seen this message yet either. Can you provide more details of the Xen environment you're hosted on?

Is there a problem in continuing to run the 9.0 XENHVM kernel with the 9.1 system?

This would not be advised. It *may* work, but be warned that you may run into strange issues.