On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 14:17:02 -0600, Jay West <jw...@ezwind.net> wrote:

1)            One or two of our freebsd 9.1 HVM (with PVM drivers) under
Xenserver 6.1 advanced are fairly frequently generating this message on the console: xn_txeof: WARNING: response is -1! Any ideas what this may be and
what should be done? It does seem to only occur on the machines that have
higher network load than the others.

You're having success with Xenserver 6.1? That's good news. I wonder why XCP 1.6 is unable to boot FreeBSD if there's an emulated DVDROM? :(

2)            We did a pilot project of about 8 VM's (the above mentioned
environment) and all went well. Now that we've moved it into production with
many more VM's, I'm wondering about recommended tuning. I seem to recall
from watching this list that there are a few sysctl's and the like that are highly recommended, I think they had to do with network settings and turning
off "offloading" or somesuch. Does anyone have a quick & dirty list of
"here's the first things you should always change" with regards to FreeBSD
HVM (pvm drivers) under XenServer?

If you're using pf, you will certainly need to set net.inet.tcp.tso=0

As far as the other offloading -- I put this on my NICs:

ifconfig_xn0="(your stuff here) -txcsum -rxcsum -lro -tso"

3) When migrating bare-metal non-VM FreeBSD machines (primarily
webservers and mailservers) to the above Xenserver environment, we have
always just created VM's from an ISO, installed apache, sendmail, etc. and then migrated the websites, mailboxes, etc. manually "across the wire" from
the non-VM machines to the replacement VM's. Xenconvert does not seem to
support FreeBSD/gpart/ufs. Does anyone know of a way (software or procedure) to take a bare-metal FreeBSD 9.1 install and turn it into a VDI or OVF/OVA
that can be imported to Xenserver?

We usually install the same version on the VM and rsync the entire OS over. Then replace the kernel with the XENHVM one, do a bit of tweaking (rc.conf, pf.conf, fstab), and move on.

FYI, when we build kernels we do:

make buildkernel KERNCONF=XENHVM
make installkernel KERNCONF=XENHVM DESTDIR=/boot/ KODIR=9.1-XENHVM

This puts the kernel and modules in /boot/9.1-XENHVM and leaves the GENERIC kernel alone (as an emergency fallback)

/boot/loader.conf then contains kernel="9.1-XENHVM"

Note: for 9.0 it doesn't install the modules when you do it this way. We just set module_path="/boot/kernel;/boot/modules" and piggyback on the GENERIC kernel's modules.