On 12/4/17 1:30 pm, Leif Pedersen wrote:
I keep an extra EBS volume handy that has a simple recovery image. If I get stuck into a trouble, I change the normal boot disk to sdb, and attach my recovery volume as sda1. Essentially, the extra volume is my "recovery partition". To make it cheaper, keep only a snapshot of it.

yes that's a technique I've used in the past.

I'd prefer to find something simpler to do, which is why it'd be nice if one could just control some single bit that the bootloader could read.

Same idea on Google Compute Engine.

On Apr 11, 2017 11:34 PM, "Colin Percival" <cperc...@tarsnap.com <mailto:cperc...@tarsnap.com>> wrote:

    [CCing freebsd-cloud, which is the right place for discussions
    of FreeBSD/EC2]

    On 04/11/17 21:03, Julian Elischer wrote:
    > In Amazon ec2 they have no console access (though I heard
    rumors that it was
    > available I have not seen any sign of it) so I'd like to put a
    "recovery
    > partition" into an AMI.
    > The trick is how to convince it to boot to that instead of the
    regular action.

    Can you get what you want via gptboot's support for selecting
    the partition
    to boot via "bootonce" and "bootme" flags?

    > The ideal thing would be if there was  way to 'influence' one
    of the smbios
    > values in some way, and have the boot code see it, but I'm
    open to any
    > suggestions.
    > I really need only 1 bit of information to get through.
    >
    > Possibilties include "changing the VM to have only 2G of ram"
    (we'd never do
    > that in a real machine).
    > or maybe temporarily removing all the disks other than the
    root drive? Almost
    > anything I could do to signal the boot code to behave differently.

    I don't think adding/removing disks will be useful, since the
    extra disks will
    be Xen blkfront devices; AFAIK the boot loader doesn't know
    anything about
    these.  (The boot device is also a blkfront device but gets ATA
    emulation for
    the benefit of boot loaders.)

    Maybe you can repurpose some of the logic used for booting over
    NFS?  I've
    never heard of people booting over NFS when the initial
    bootstrap comes from
    disk rather than PXE, but I assume it's possible...?

    --
    Colin Percival
    Founder, Tarsnap | www.tarsnap.com <http://www.tarsnap.com> |