On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 07:06:49AM +0000, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2018, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 11:25 PM, Roger Pau Monné <roger....@citrix.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Yes, I think you will need to be able to run Xen + FreeBSD. You can
> > > probably manage to complete the first part using Xen + Linux and
> > > running FreeBSD as a guest, but you will need Xen + FreeBSD Dom0 for
> > > the second part (adding handlers for mapping operations used by the
> > > backend).
> >
> > One more thing, is there any other VM like VirtualBox that can run Xen
> > + FreeBSD as Dom0, or do I have to run it on a different computer.
>
> I have solved this problem for me by renting a physical server at the hosting
> company.
> But serious hacking requires having access to the physical console (most
> hosting providers provide something like that).
>
> I don't know how others are working on this? Anyone running Xen on their
> laptop for example?

Xen also supports printing to a USB debug port (EHCI debug port) [0],
but some laptops don't even have the USB debug port accessible, and
then you need a special adapter which is impossible to find nowadays.

So, the easier way to debug is to get a box with SOL or a working
serial DB9 port.

Roger.

[0] https://www.coreboot.org/EHCI_Debug_Port