Despite having my user as a member of wheel and operator groups, and having this in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla:

  [Restart]
  Identity=unix-group:operator
  Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
  ResultAny=yes
  ResultInactive=yes
  ResultActive=yes

  [Shutdown]
  Identity=unix-group:operator
  Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
  ResultAny=yes
  ResultInactive=yes
  ResultActive=yes

The user still can't restart or shut down with the xfce buttons. The X session ends, but that's it. It's the same as logout.

From a terminal window, the user can run shutdown -r now or shutdown -p
now and it works. Those buttons were not enabled until I installed sudo, but it may be some other permissions thing. I didn't think sudo was required for this.

What is missing?