Relatório de atividades do FreeBSD no segundo trimestre de 2005.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Status Report Second Quarter 2005
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:04:29 -0600
From: Scott Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: freebsd-announce@freebsd.org

March-June 2005 Status Report

                                  Introduction

    The second quarter of 2005 has again been very exciting. The BSDCan
    and MeetBSD conferences were both very interesting and and the sources
    of very good times. I highly recommend attending them again next year.

    The Google Summer of Code project has also generated quite a bit of
    excitement. FreeBSD has been granted 18 funded mentorship spots, the
    fourth most of all of participating organizations. Projects being
    worked on range from UFS Journalling to porting the new BSDInstaller
    to redesigning the venerable www.FreeBSD.org website. We are quite
    pleased to be working with so many talented students, and eagerly
    await the results of their work. More information and status can be
    found at the Wiki site at
    http://wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/SummerOfCode2005.

    The FreeBSD 6.0 release cycle is also starting up. The purpose of
    quickly jumping from 5.x to 6.0 is to reduce the amount of transition
    pain that most users and developers felt when switching from 4-STABLE
    to 5.x. 6.0 will feature improved performance and stability over 5.x,
    experimental PowerPC support, and many new WiFi/802.11 features. The
    5.x series will continue for at least one more release this fall, and
    will then be supported by the security team for at least 2 years after
    that. We encourage everyone to give the 6.0-BETA snapshots a try and
    help us make it ready for production. We hope to release FreeBSD 6.0
    by the end of August.

    Thanks again to everyone who submitted reports, and thanks to Max
    Laier for running the show and putting the reports together. Enjoy
    reading!

   Google summer of code

      * FreeBSD Summer of Code
      * FreeBSD website improvements
      * FreeSBIE toolkit integration
      * gjournal
      * gvinum 'move', 'rename'
      * Improve libalias
      * Integrate the BSD Installer into FreeBSD
      * launchd(8) for FreeBSD
      * Network Interface API Cleanup
      * Nsswitch / Caching daemon
      * SEBSD
      * UFSJ -- Journaling for UFS

   Projects

      * Fundraising - TCP & IP Routing Optimization
      * GEOM Gate rewrite
      * TODO list for volunteers
      * VFS SMP

   Documentation

      * The FreeBSD Dutch Documentation Project

   Kernel

      * Autotuning of the page queue coloring algorithm
      * CPU Cache Prefetching
      * libmemstat(3), UMA(9) and malloc(9) statistics
      * Low-overhead performance monitoring for FreeBSD
      * Removable interface improvements
      * SMP Network Stack
      * Transparent support for superpages in the FreeBSD Kernel
      * TrustedBSD Audit

   Network infrastructure

      * Dingo
      * if_bridge
      * IPv6 Support for IPFW
      * Move ARP out of routing table
      * TCP Reassembly Rewrite and Optimization
      * TTCPv2: Transactional TCP version 2
      * Wireless Networking Support

   Userland programs

      * OpenBSD dhclient import.
      * Removing of old basesystem files and directories

   Architectures

      * PowerPC Port

   Ports

      * FreshPorts
      * Porting v9 of Intels C/C++ Compiler
      * Update of the Linux userland infrastructure

   Vendor / 3rd Party Software

      * OpenBSD packet filter - pf

   Miscellaneous

      * BSDCan
      * EuroBSDCon 2005 - Basel
      * FreeBSD Security Officer and Security Team
      * TrustedBSD SEBSD

Autotuning of the page queue coloring algorithm

    Contact: Alexander Leidinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The VM subsystem has code to reduce the amount of cache collisions of
    VM pages. Currently this code needs to be tuned with a kernel option.
    I have a patch which changes this to auto-tuning at boot time. The
    auto-tuning is MI, the cache size detection is MD. Cache size
    detection is currently available for x86/amd64 (on other systems it
    uses default values).

   Open tasks:

     1. Add cache-detection code for other arches too (Marius told me how
        to do this for sparc64).
     2. Analyze why the cache detection on Athlons doesn't work (no
        problems on a P4, but it uses a different code-path).

BSDCan

    Contact: Dan Langille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The second annual BSDCan conference was well presented, well attended,
    and everyone went away with good stories to tell. If you know anything
    that attended, get them to tell you what they did, who they met with,
    and talks they listened to.

    We had 197 people from 15 different countries. That's a strong turnout
    by any definition.

    We'll be adding more people to the program committee for BSDCan 2006.
    This job involves prodding and poking people from your respective
    projects. You get them to submit papers. There are a lot of very
    interesting projects out there and not all of them submit a paper.

    If you know someone doing interesting work, please let me know and
    urge them to start thinking about BSDCan 2006.

CPU Cache Prefetching

    Contact: Andre Oppermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Modern CPU's can only perform to their maximum if their working code
    is in fast L1-3 cache memory instead of the bulk main memory. All of
    today's CPU's support certain L1-3 cache prefetching instructions
    which cause data to be retrieved from main memory to the cache ahead
    of the time that it is already in place when it is eventually accessed
    by the CPU.

    CPU Cache Prefetching however is not a silver bullet and has to be
    used with extreme care and only in very specific places to be
    beneficial. Incorrect usage can lead to massive cache pollution and a
    drop in effective performance. Correct and very carefully usage on the
    other can lead to drastic performance increases in common operations.

    In the linked patch CPU cache prefetching has been used to prefetch
    the packet header (OSI layer 2 to 4) into the CPU caches right after
    entering into the network stack. This avoids a complete CPU stall on
    the first access to the packet header because packets get DMA'd into
    main memory and thus never are already pre-cache in the CPU caches. A
    second use in the patch is in the TCP input code to prefetch the
    entire struct tcpcb which is very large and used with a very high
    probability. Use in both of these places show a very significant
    performance gain but not yet fully quantified.

    The final patch will include documentation and a guide to evaluate and
    assess the use of CPU cache prefetch instructions in the kernel.

   Open tasks:

     1. Need funding, see "Fundraising - TCP & IP Routing Optimization".

Dingo

    Contact: Several <>

    Currently trying to restart bits of the project. Cleaning up the p4
    branch. Recently more people have volunteered to help as well. Brooks
    Davis has completed removing the ifnet from the softc.

   Open tasks:

     1. See the web page.

EuroBSDCon 2005 - Basel

    Contact: Information <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The fourth European BSD conference in Basel, Switzerland is a great
    opportunity to present new ideas to the community and to meet some of
    the developers behind the different BSDs.

    The two day conference program (Nov 26 and 27) will be complemented by
    a tutorial day preceeding the conference (Nov 25).

    The program committee is looking for tutorial and paper submissions.
    For details, please see: The call for papers online.

FreeBSD Security Officer and Security Team

    Contact: Security Officer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Security Team <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    In May 2005, Remko Lodder joined the FreeBSD Security Team, followed
    by Christian S.J. Peron in July 2005. In the same time period, Gregory
    Shapiro and Josef El-Rayes resigned from the team in order to devote
    their time to other projects. The current Security Team membership is
    published on the web site.

    In the time since the last FreeBSD status report, twelve security
    advisories have been issued concerning problems in the base system of
    FreeBSD; of these, six problems were in "contributed" code, while five
    problems were in code maintained within FreeBSD. The Vulnerabilities
    and Exposures Markup Language (VuXML) document has continued to be
    updated by the Security Team and the Ports Committers documenting new
    vulnerabilities in the FreeBSD Ports Collection; since the last status
    report, 97 new entries have been added, bringing the total up to 519.

    The following FreeBSD releases are supported by the FreeBSD Security
    Team: FreeBSD 4.10, FreeBSD 4.11, FreeBSD 5.3, and FreeBSD 5.4. Their
    respective End of Life dates are listed on the web site.

FreeBSD Summer of Code

    Contact: Summer of Code Mentors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Google has generously funded 18 students to spend the summer working
    on FreeBSD related projects. Each student is working with one or more
    mentors to learn about how open source software development is done
    with FreeBSD. This development work is happening in the Perforce
    repository as //depot/projects/soc2005. This tree will soon be
    exported via CVSup -- check the Wiki for more information.

FreeBSD website improvements

    Contact: Emily Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    As part of the Google Summer of Code, I'm working on improvements to
    the FreeBSD website (including a proposed website redesign). My mentor
    for this project is Murray Stokely.

FreeSBIE toolkit integration

    Contact: Dario Freni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    My Summer of Code project is reengineering and rewrite of FreeSBIE
    toolkit, in order to include it in the source tree. Let's call it
    FreeSBIE 2

    Before being accepted, I worked hard on the FreeSBIE 1 toolkit to make
    it more flexible. It now supports amd64 and powerpc architecture. The
    built filesystem can now boot from almost every media, from dvd to
    compact flash or hard disk. Also on i386 is possible to include the
    BSD Installer on the livefs. We've received reports that our toolkit
    is successfully used for install cd of pfSense and PC-BSD projects.

    My future goals are to make the toolkit even more flexible, capable to
    build embedded images (like nanoBSD) or big Live-DVD systems,
    depending on user's choice, to support all the architectures supported
    by FreeBSD and to write a set of tools for making a netboot server
    with a FreeSBIE image.

FreshPorts

    Contact: Dan Langille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The following new features have been added to FreshPorts:
      * Deprecated Ports
      * Expired Ports
      * Ports Set To Expire
      * Display relevent entries from ports/UPDATING on your watch list

   Open tasks:

     1. I've noticed that FreshPorts is incorrectly reporting
        vulnerabilities under a ver y specific situation . The fix is
        sitting in BETA, waiting to be moved to production.
     2. I've been working on added Last-Modified to the headers. At
        present, there are none. Most of the pages on the BETA website
        have been completed. I need to move this to production soon.
     3. Customized news feeds are in the works. You'll be able to create a
        news feed for each of your watch lists This work is contingent
        upon finishing the Last-Modified headers.

Fundraising - TCP & IP Routing Optimization

    Contact: Andre Oppermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The TCP code in FreeBSD has evolved significantly since the fork from
    4.4BSD-Lite2 in 1994 primarily due to new features and refinements of
    the TCP specifications.

    The TCP code now needs a general overhaul, streamlining and cleanup to
    make it easily comprehensible, maintainable and extensible again. In
    addition there are many little optimizations that can be done during
    such an operation, propelling FreeBSD back at the top of the best
    performing TCP/IP stacks again, a position it has held for the longest
    time in the 90's.

    This overhaul is a very involved and delicate matter and needs
    extensive formal and actual testing to ensure no regressions compared
    to the current code. The effort needed for this work is about three
    man-month of fully focused and dedicated time. To get it done I need
    funding to take time off my day job and to dedicate me to FreeBSD work
    much the way PHK did with his buffer cache and vnode rework projects.

    I've got the opportunity to work up to three man-month exclusively
    full-time on FreeBSD during the second half of 2005. That means up to
    720 hours of full-steam coding (at 60 hours/week)! I will work as much
    time as the fundraise provides.

    I need to raise enough money for each month from donations from the
    FreeBSD community to cover my fixed cost of living, office and
    associated overhead. These fixed cost amount to US$6,300/month
    (EUR5,200 or CHF8,000). Yes, Switzerland is not the cheapest place to
    live. :)

    A detailed description of the tasks involved and the code I will write
    is on my FreeBSD website; Follow the link above.

   Open tasks:

     1. Raise enough money to get all the almost finished TCP and IP code
        into the tree.

GEOM Gate rewrite

    Contact: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    GGATE is a machinism for exporting storage devices over the network.
    It was reimplemented to be much faster and to handle network failures
    better. The ggatec uses two threads now: sendtd, which takes I/O
    request from the kernel and sends it to ggated; recvtd, which receives
    finished requests and forwards them to the kernel. The ggated uses
    three threads: recvtd, which receives I/O requests from ggatec;
    disktd, which executes I/O requests (reads or writes data); sendtd,
    which sends finished requests to ggatec. The new ggate has been
    committed to 6.x.

    The work was sponsored by Wheel Sp. z o.o.

gjournal

    Contact: Ivan Voras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The schedule (as stated on the wiki page) is honoured, which means
    that the development has started, but there's not enough code for
    testing. Many details have been thought-out and the development is
    ongoing.

gvinum 'move', 'rename'

    Contact: Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    With the releases of FreeBSD 5.3 and 5.4, FreeBSD has been moving away
    from "old-style" vinum towards GEOM-enabled gvinum for logical volume
    management. While gvinum is a mostly feature-complete replacement for
    vinum, it does not implement the 'move' or 'rename' verbs which are
    rather useful when reorganizing one's volume layout, the alternative
    being a tedious process of deleting and recreating subdisks, plexes,
    or volumes. Additionally, gvinum is nearly completely undocumented,
    which contributes to the perception of gvinum as an unfinished
    project.

    I'm working on implementing 'move' (being able to move a subdisk from
    one drive to another) and 'rename' (being able to rename an subdisk,
    plex, volume, or drive), as well as on documentation for gvinum.

    So far, I've come up with a plan of attack with le@ and phk@, and
    implemented the bulk of the userland code for gvinum 'move' and
    'rename'. Still to come are the kernel-side code and documentation.

   Open tasks:

     1. 'move' and 'rename' userland implementation
     2. 'move' and 'rename' kernel-side implementation
     3. Outline new handbook section and man page
     4. Implement new handbook section and man page

if_bridge

    Contact: Andrew Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    This was committed to current on 5 Jun 2005 and will first appear in
    the 6.0 release, thanks to everyone who tested. Recent improvements
    include:
      * IPFW layer2 filtering
      * DUMMYNET support
      * IP header alignment checking

    There is ongoing work to bring in some of the advanced features from
    OpenBSD such as IPSec bridging. People are encouraged to use if_bridge
    and report any problems to the mailing lists.

Improve libalias

    Contact: Paolo Pisati <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    My SoC project is about improving libalias and integrating it with
    ipfw2, adding nat support into the firewall. Till now i ported
    libalias (as a kld) and ng_nat to 4.x and 5.x branches, and i've
    already a first working patchset that adds 'nat' action into ipfw.
    Next step will be to add a complete syntax to ipfw that will let us
    manipulate libalias operations, much like we already do with queue and
    pipes for dummynet. In the end the entire work will compile and work
    out of the box for 4.x, 5.x and 6.x. More details about the project
    and its status are available on wiki page.

Integrate the BSD Installer into FreeBSD

    Contact: Andrew Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Progress towards integrating the BSD Installer for Google's Summer of
    Code is coming along nicely. The installation CD will boot to
    multi-user mode and run both the front and back ends. It can then
    partition a hard drive, install the base distribution and make the
    disk bootable.

   Open tasks:

     1. Test in non-i386
     2. Investigate installing from other media
     3. Many more tasks

IPv6 Support for IPFW

    Contact: Max Laier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Brooks Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    At the developer summit before BSDCan it was decided to remove IP6FW
    from the tree as it has a couple of problems. The most pressing one is
    the lack of synchronization and thus the need for debug.mpsafenet=0.
    As a replacement Brooks Davis has imported patches to teach the
    existing and well-locked IPFW2 code about IPv6.

    Since the initial import I have added some features required to manage
    IPv4 and IPv6 in a single ruleset. I have also extended existing
    opcodes to work with IPv6. There are, however, still some opcodes that
    do not work with IPv6 and most of the more exotic ones haven't been
    tested. As long as IPFW2+v6 does not provide enough functionality and
    stability to work as a drop-in replacement for IP6FW, we won't remove
    IP6FW.

    In order to get the new code to that point we really need more testers
    with real world IPv6 deployment and interest in IPFW+v6. The lack
    thereof (I haven't received a single answer on my requests to various
    FreeBSD mailing lists) has made it hard to progress.

   Open tasks:

     1. Properly implement O_REJECT for IPv6
     2. Maybe implement O_LOG
     3. Test new(er) IPFW2 opcodes with IPv6
     4. Test
     5. Test
     6. Test

launchd(8) for FreeBSD

    Contact: R. Tyler Ballance <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    So far progress has been slow, the autoconf build system has been
    removed from all of the launchd(8) code, and launchctl(1) is building
    and semi-functional on FreeBSD-CURRENT (i.e. CoreFoundation hooks have
    been removed)

    I'm currently working on porting "liblaunch" which is the core backend
    to both launchd(8) (the actual daemon) and launchctl(1), there are
    some mach/xnu specific hooks and calls that need to be remove and
    either reimplemented or worked around.

    We're also waiting on a response from Apple on a possible BSD-licensed
    version of the code (it's currently under the APSL) Progress is slow,
    but steady.

libmemstat(3), UMA(9) and malloc(9) statistics

    Contact: Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    libmemstat(3) provides a user space library API to monitor kernel
    memory allocators, currently uma(9) and malloc(9), with the following
    benefits:
      * ABI-robust interface making use of accessor functions, in order to
        divorce monitoring applications from kernel/user ABI changes.
      * Allocator-independent interfaces, allowing monitoring of multiple
        allocators using the same interface.
      * CPU-cache awareness, allowing tracking of memory use across
        multiple CPUs for allocators aware of caches. Unlike previous
        interfaces, libmemstat(3) coalesces per-CPU stats in user space
        rather than kernel, and exposes per-CPU stats to interested
        applications.
      * Ability to track memory types over multiple queries, and update
        existing structures, allowing easy tracking of statistics over
        time.

    libmemstat(3) and the the appropriate allocator changes for uma(9) and
    malloc(9) are currently in HEAD (7-CURRENT), and MFC has been approved
    to RELENG_6 for inclusion in 6.0-RELEASE. These changes may also be
    backported to 5.x.

    Sample applications include memstat(8), an allocator-independent
    statistics viewing tool, memtop(8), which provides a top(1)-like
    interface for monitoring kernel memory use and active memory types.
    None of these are "pretty".

    netstat -mb has also been updated to use libmemstat(3) to track
    network memory use using uma(9), rather than the less reliable mbuf
    allocator statistics interface. As a result, the statistics are now
    more reliable on SMP systems (this corrects the bug in which mbuf
    statistics sometimes "leaked", even though memory didn't), and more
    informative (cache information is now displayed, as well as mbuf tag
    information).

   Open tasks:

     1. Teach libmemstat(3) to speak libkvm(3) in order to allow tools
        linked -lmemstat to interogate kernel core dumps.
     2. Teach libmemstat(3) to interface with user space malloc and track
        malloc allocations for user space applications.
     3. Update vmstat(8) -m and -z implementations to use libmemstat(3)
        instead of the old monitoring interfaces. Code to do this exists
        in the sample libmemstat(3) applications.
     4. Identify how to make streams or the library endian-aware so that
        streams dumped from a kernel of alternative endian could be
        processed using libmemstat(3) on another system.
     5. Identify any remaining caching allocators in the kernel, such as
        the sfbuf allocator, and teach libmemstat(3) how to interface with
        them.

Low-overhead performance monitoring for FreeBSD

    Contact: Joseph Koshy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Modern CPUs have on-chip performance monitoring counters (PMCs) that
    may be used to count low-level hardware events like instruction
    retirals, branch mispredictions, and cache misses. PMC architectures
    and capabilities vary between CPU vendors and between CPU generations
    from the same vendor, making the creation of portable applications
    difficult. This project implements a cross-platform PMC management API
    for applications, and implements the infrastructure to "virtualize"
    and manage these PMCs. The creation of performance analysis tools that
    use this infrastructure is also part of the project's goals.

    Work since the last status report:
      * Sampling mode support for P4 and AMD64 PMCs has been implemented.
      * A pmclog(3) API for parsing hwpmc(4) log files has been added.
      * A number of bugs in libpmc(3), hwpmc(4) and pmcstat(8) have been
        fixed.

    Future work:
      * Creating user documentation showing a few real-world uses of the
        currently available tools.
      * Testing, improving the stability of the code, and characterizing
        its overheads.
      * Implementing P5 PMC support.

Move ARP out of routing table

    Contact: Qing Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    I've sent the patch to [EMAIL PROTECTED] @KAME for review.
    I'm still waiting for feedback from Andre. There hasn't been any major
    change since the last report. I've kept the code in sync with CURRENT.
    Gleb has created a separate P4 branch and has been helping out on the
    locking side. Gleb is also helping out on the testing front.

   Open tasks:

     1. I'm waiting for review feedback from my mentor Andre on the
        overall design and code. I'm waiting for feedback from Andre on
        Gleb's suggested modification.

Network Interface API Cleanup

    Contact: Anders Persson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The goal of this project is to review the network interface API and
    try to remove references to kernel-only data structures by removing
    the use of libkvm and instead rely on other interfaces to provide
    information. If there are no adequate interfaces, they would be
    created.

    Currently netstat is being reviewed and parts of it have been modified
    to use sysctl rather than libkvm to provide the information.

    A big thank you to Brooks Davis for mentoring :-)

Nsswitch / Caching daemon

    Contact: Michael Bushkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The nsswitch / caching daemon project is being developed within the
    Google's Summer Of Code program. The first goal of this project is to
    implement a set of patches to extend the use of nsswitch subsystem.
    The second goal is the development of the caching library and daemon
    to add the caching ability to the nsswitch.

    Currently services, protocols, rpc and openssh patches are finished.
    Support for services, services_compat, rpc, protocols, and
    ssh_host_keys databases is added with 'files', 'nis' and 'compat' (for
    services) sources possible. The nsswitch-friendly openssh port is
    amlost completed.

   Open tasks:

     1. Implement set of patches to make nsswitch support globus grid
        security files , MAC and audit related configuration files
        databases.
     2. Implement the caching library and the caching daemon and patch
        nsdispatch function to support caching.

OpenBSD dhclient import.

    Contact: Brooks Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Sam Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The OpenBSD rewrite of dhclient has been imported, replacing the ISC
    dhclient. The OpenBSD client provides better support for roaming on
    wireless networks and a simpler model of operation. Instead of a
    single dhclient process per system, there is on per network interface.
    This instance automatically goes away in the even of link loss and is
    restarted via devd when link is reacquired. To support this change,
    many aspects of the network interface configuration process were
    overhauled.

    The current code works well in most circumstances, but more testing
    and polishing is needed.

OpenBSD packet filter - pf

    Contact: Max Laier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    We will have pf as of OpenBSD 3.7 for RELENG_6. Import has been
    completed in early May and FreeBSD release 6.0 will ship with it.

    A few serious issues with pfsync on SMP have been discovered since
    CARP is around and more and more people use it on big iron. Everything
    that has been discovered is fixed in HEAD and (if applicable) MFCed
    back to RELENG_5. Some functional changes are undergoing testing right
    now and will be MFCed in the coming days.

    With the import of if_bridge from Net/OpenBSD we finally have a bridge
    implementation that allows for stateful filtering as well as IPv6
    filtering. Please see the respective report.

   Open tasks:

     1. Shared lock implementation?

Porting v9 of Intels C/C++ Compiler

    Contact: Alexander Leidinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Intel released version 9 of its C/C++ compiler. Work to port the x86
    version to FreeBSD is in progress as time permits. Porting the EM64T
    (amd64) version is on the TODO list too, but is subject to enough free
    time and access to appropriate hardware.

PowerPC Port

    Contact: Peter Grehan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Florent Thoumie has updated the massively out-of-date platform page.
    Work continues to creating a 6.0 release of the PowerPC port.

Removable interface improvements

    Contact: Brooks Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    This project is an attempt to clean up handling of network interfaces
    in order to allow interfaces to be removed reliably. Current problems
    include panics if Dummynet is delaying packets to an interface when it
    is removed.

    I have removed struct ifnet's and layer two common structures from
    device driver structures. This will eventually allow them to be
    managed properly upon device removal. This code has been committed and
    will appear in 6.0. Popular drivers have generally been fixed, but
    more testing is needed.

Removing of old basesystem files and directories

    Contact: Alexander Leidinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    FreeBSD lacks a way to remove old/outdated files and directories in
    the basesystem. I have a patch which removes obsolete files in a safe
    way (interactively, since only the administrator really knows if
    there's a need to keed an old file or not; there's a switch for
    batch-processing). This feature may or may not be available for
    6.0-RELEASE, depending on the decission from the Release Engineering
    team.

   Open tasks:

     1. Respect the NO_* switches and remove those files too. This is easy
        to do with the current implementation, but isn't needed to commit
        the removal of obsolete files feature.

SEBSD

    Contact: Yanjun Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     1. Setup a local P4 workspace of sebsd source and Setup lxr for
        TrustedBSD source for studying source code.
     2. Test a simple policy configuration for vsftpd.
     3. Writing a HOWTO document Getting Started with SEBSD HOWTO by
        deriving the existing Getting Started with SELinux HOWTO .

    Thanks Robert Watson and Scott Long for their kind help.

   Open tasks:

     1. When writing the document, try to figure out the sebsd userland
        utils that need to be ported.
     2. Test and edit more policies for BSD environment.

SMP Network Stack

    Contact: Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Significant work has occurred over the last few months relating to the
    SMP network stack work. A few of the highlights are covered here at a
    high level:
      * The UMA(9) per-CPU caches have been modified to use critical
        sections instead of mutexes. Recent critical section optimizations
        make this a performance win for both UP and SMP systems. This
        results in a several percent improvement in a number of user space
        benchmarks, and larger improvement for kernel-only network
        forwarding and processing benchmarks.
      * The malloc(9) allocator has been modified to store statistics
        per-CPU instead of using a cross-CPU statistics pool, with each
        per-CPU pool now using critical sections to synchronize access.
        This results in a measurable performance win, especially on SMP
        systems
      * The netnatm ATM code is now MPSAFE.
      * netipx MPSAFEty has been merged to RELENG_5.
      * The netperf cluster has now been expanded to include two
        additional quad-CPU systems (one dual dual-core AMD system, one
        quad-CPU PIII system).
      * libmemsetat(3) (see separate report) now corrects SMP-related
        races in the measuring of mbuf allocator statistics, as well as
        substantially improving kernel memory monitoring capabilities and
        tools.
      * A range of locking bug fixes, and general network stack bug fixes.
      * Significant updates to the SMPng web page (still more to do!).
      * Identification of all non-MPSAFE network device drivers, with
        ultimatum issued, on freebsd-arch. Quite a bit of new driver
        locking work as a result (if_ed, if_de, ...).
      * Lots of other stuff.

    In most cases, these changes will appear in FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE; some
    have been, or will be, merged to FreeBSD 5.x.

    On-going tasks include:
      * Review and improvement of ifnet locking, such as address lists and
        flags.
      * Optimization of interface start hand-off.
      * Prototyping of queue-oriented packet hand-off in the stack.
      * Performance measurement and analysis.
      * Prototype rewrite and simplification of socket locking.

TCP Reassembly Rewrite and Optimization

    ml

    Contact: Andre Oppermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Currently TCP segment reassembly is implemented as a linked list of
    segments. With today's high bandwidth links and large bandwidth*delay
    products this doesn't scale and perform well.

    The rewrite optimizes a large number of operational aspects of the
    segments reassembly process. For example it is very likely that the
    just arrived segment attaches to the end of the reassembly queue, so
    we check that first. Second we check if it is the missing segment or
    alternatively attaches to the start of the reassembly queue. Third
    consecutive segments are merged together (logically) and are skipped
    over in one jump for linear searches instead of each segment at a
    time.

    Further optimizations prototyped merge consecutive segments on the
    mbuf level instead of only logically. This is expected to give another
    significant performance gain. The new reassembly queue is tracking all
    holes in the queue and it may be beneficial to integrate this with the
    scratch pad of SACK in the future.

    Andrew Gallatin was able to get 3.7Gb/sec TCP performance on
    dual-2Gbit Myrinet cards with severe packet reordering (due to a
    firmware bug) with the new TCP reassembly code. See second link.

   Open tasks:

     1. Need funding, see "Fundraising - TCP & IP Routing Optimization".

The FreeBSD Dutch Documentation Project

    Contact: Remko Lodder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Siebrand Mazeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Rene Ladan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The FreeBSD Dutch Documentation Project is a ongoing project in
    translating the english documentation to the Dutch language. Currently
    we are almost done with the FreeBSD Handbook. Finishing the Handbook
    is our first priority, and we could use your help. Please contact
    Siebrand or myself if you want to helpout. After the handbook we will
    focus on other documents as well, so feel free to help us there as
    well

   Open tasks:

     1. FreeBSD Handbook translation. Finish the translation from English
        to Dutch
     2. FreeBSD Handbook review. Finish the review of the translated
        documents
     3. FreeBSD Articles. Start translating the articles from English to
        the Dutch Language
     4. FreeBSD www. Start translating the website from English to the
        Dutch Language
     5. The rest of the FreeBSD Documents. Start translating them from
        English to the Dutch Language.

TODO list for volunteers

    Contact: Alexander Leidinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Since Google's "Summer of Code" resulted in a lot of interest in open
    projects, I'm in the process of compiling a list of nice projects for
    volunteers. Unlike Google's SoC those projects aren't backed with
    money (but this doesn't means nobody is allowed to sponsor one of
    those projects), so we can only guarantee the social aspects (some
    "Thank you!" and "That's great!" messages). So far the list has
    several entries where the difficulty ranges from "someone just has to
    sit down and spend some time on it" up to "we need a guru for this".

   Open tasks:

     1. Merging untaken entries from the SoC list as soon as the official
        participants/tasks in the SoC are announced.
     2. Sending the document to some doc people for review.
     3. Commit the list.

Transparent support for superpages in the FreeBSD Kernel

    Contact: Alan L. Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Olivier Crameri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    We are currently working on an updated implementation of Juan
    Navarro's transparent support for superpages in FreeBSD

    The idea is to take advantage of the architectural support for big
    memory pages (superpages) by using a reservation mechanism allowing us
    to transparently promote groups of base pages into superpages and
    demote superpages into several smaller superpages or base pages.

    The advantage of using superpages vs. base pages is to significantly
    improve the TLB coverage of the physical memory, thus improving the
    peformance by reducing the number of TLB misses.

    The modification of the FreeBSD kernel that we are working on involves
    the replacement of the current list based page allocation mechanism
    with a system using a buddy allocator to reserve groups of pages for a
    memory object. The promotion and demotion of the pages occur directly
    within the pmap module.

    The former implementation was supporting the alpha and IA64
    architectures. We are adding the support for amd64. We currently have
    an almost complete implementation. Once completed we will make a
    performance study with a particular emphasis on TLB and cache misses.

TrustedBSD Audit

    Contact: Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Wayne Salamon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    In the past few months, significant work has been done relating to the
    TrustedBSD audit implementation, including preparatory work to merge
    audit into the FreeBSD CVS repository for FreeBSD 6.x. In particular:
      * The user space components, such as libbsm, include files, and
        command line utilities have been broken out into an OpenBSM
        distribution in Perforce. Improvements in OpenBSM will be made
        available separately for use by projects such as Darwin, and
        imported into the contrib area of FreeBSD.
      * The system call table format has been updated to include an audit
        event identifier for each system call across all hardware
        platforms and ABIs (merged), and all system calls have been
        assigned event identifiers (not yet merged).
      * The audit management daemon has been rewritten to run on FreeBSD
        (originally derived from Darwin) using /dev/audit to track kernel
        events.
      * Many system calls now properly audit their arguments.
      * The TrustedBSD audit3 branch has been updated to a recent
        6.x-CURRENT.
      * Significant work has gone into synchronizing the audit event
        tables between FreeBSD, Darwin, and OpenSolaris to make sure file
        formats and events are portable.
      * OpenBSM has been adapted to consume and generate
        endian-independent event streams.
      * OpenBSM documentation has been created.

    The hope is still to provide audit as "experimental" in 6.0; the
    primary blocking factor is our awaiting relicensing of the last
    remaining audit files from Apple's APSL license to BSDL so that they
    can be included in the FreeBSD kernel. This is anticipated to complete
    in the near future. Once this is done, the changes can be merged to
    CVS, and then MFC'd to RELENG_6. If this is not complete by
    6.0-RELEASE, the work will be merged shortly after the release, as all
    ABI-sensitive data structures have been updated as needed.

TrustedBSD SEBSD

    Contact: Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The TrustedBSD Project has released a new snapshot of "SEBSD", a port
    of NSA's SELinux FLASK and Type Enforcement implementation to FreeBSD
    based on a late 2005 FreeBSD 6.x snapshot. The SEBSD distribution has
    now been updated in Perforce to a recent 6.x snapshot, and a new
    distribution will be made available in the near future.

    Work has been performed to merge additional dependencies for SEBSD
    back into the base FreeBSD tree, including most recently, changes to
    devfs, and System V and POSIX IPC.

   Open tasks:

     1. Update to new NSA FLASK implementation, which has improved MLS
        support.
     2. Merge remaining kernel changes to support SEBSD back to the base
        FreeBSD CVS repository, including file descriptor labeling and
        access control (in contrast to file labeling and access control),
        and categorization of kernel privileges.

TTCPv2: Transactional TCP version 2

    Contact: Andre Oppermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    The old TTCP according to RFC1644 was insecure, intrusive, complicated
    and has been removed from FreeBSD >= 5.3. Although the idea and
    semantics behind it are still sound and valid.

    The rewrite uses a much easier and more secure system with 24bit long
    client and server cookies which are transported in the TCP options.
    Client cookies protect against various kinds of blind injection
    attacks and can be used as well to generally secure TCP sessions (for
    BGP for example). Server cookies are only exchanged during the
    SYN-SYN/ACK phase and allow a server to ensure that it has
    communicated with this particular client before. The first connection
    is always performing a 3WHS and assigning a server cookie to a client.
    Subsequent connections can send the cookie back to the server and
    short-cut the 3WHS to SYN->OPEN on the server.

    TTCPv2 is fully configurable per-socket via the setsockopt() system
    call. Clients and server not capable of TTCPv2 remain fully compatible
    and just continue using the normal 3WHS without any delay or other
    complications.

    Work on implementing TTCPv2 is done to 90% and expected to be
    available by early February 2005. Writing the implementation
    specification (RFC Draft) has just started.

   Open tasks:

     1. Need funding, see "Fundraising - TCP & IP Routing Optimization".

UFSJ -- Journaling for UFS

    Contact: Brian Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Contact: Scott Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    filesystem. Journaling helps ensure the filesystem's integrity should
    the system crash. Journaling eliminates the need for fsck'ing a
    filesystem, as the filesystem is never in an inconsistent state
    (barring hardware failure). This implementation is inspired by
    Darwin's HFS+ filesystem and the SGI XFS filesystem. This is a Summer
    of Code project, with Scott Long as the mentor and Brian Wilson as the
    developer/mentee. Currently this project is still in the early stages,
    but will be in a usable state by September 1 (the Google Summer of
    Code completion date).

   Open tasks:

     1. Finish making the file system log metadata updates.
     2. Add facilities to replay the log on dirty file systems.
     3. Make snapshots work with journaling.

    The cleanup/streamlining and the possibility of overriding the default
    Linux base as reported in the last report happened without major
    problems. Work on the open tasks hasn't started yet, but is scheduled
    to start "soon". If a volunteer wants to spend some hours on one of
    the open tasks, he should tell it on the emulation mailinglist.

   Open tasks:

     1. Refactoring the common RPM code in x11-toolkits/linux-gtk/Makefile
        into bsd.rpm.mk.
     2. Determining which up-to-date Linux distribution to use as the next
        default Linux base. Important criteria:
           + RPM based (to be able to use the existing infrastructure)
           + good track record regarding availability of security fixes
           + packages available from several mirror sites
           + available for several hardware architectures (e.g. i386,
             amd64, sparc64; Note: not all architectures have a working
             linuxolator for their native bit with, but as long as there
             are no userland bits available, no motivation regarding
             writing the kernel bits will arise)
     3. Moving the linuxolator userland to an up-to-date version (see
        above).

VFS SMP

    Contact: Jeff Roberson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    FreeBSD's VFS layer has been fine grain locked along with the FFS
    filesystem for the FreeBSD 6.0 release. The locking has been underway
    for several years, with the project really picking up over the last 6
    months thanks largely to sponsorship provided by Isilon Systems, Inc.
    a leading vendor of clustered storage systems. The project has entered
    a stabilization phase, with a few bugs being reported in extreme
    circumstances while the majority of users have seen no problems. Tests
    on a 8 and 16 way machines yield reasonable parallelization, however,
    it will be beneficial to do lock contention analysis once things are
    fully stable.

    For those interested in technical details, there have been a few
    relatively significant changes with vnode life-cycle management. Vnode
    reference counting and recycling is now no longer an ad-hoc process
    involving a variety of flags, a use count and the hold count. A single
    hold count is used to track all vnode references and a destroyed vnode
    is freed in the context of the caller when the last ref is lost. The
    old system would never reclaim memory used by vnodes and also had
    pathlogical behavior with unreferenced vnode caching under pressure.
    The new system is much simpler than the old one, however, callers are
    now required to vhold a vnode that they lock directly without going
    through vget to prevent it from being recycled while they are waiting
    on a lock. Relying on 'location stable storage', which is a more
    strict version of 'type stable storage' is no longer a valid approach.

    Some other side effects include a much simpler and faster nullfs
    implementation, an improved buf daemon flushing algorithm which
    eliminated high latency that caused audio skipping, and a lots of
    minor cleanups and debugging aids.

Wireless Networking Support

    Contact: Sam Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    A lot of bugs were fixed in preparation for the 6.0 release. 6.0 will
    be the first release to include full WPA support (both supplicant and
    authenticator).

    A presentation on the forthcoming multi-bss support was given at
    BSDCan 2005. The slides from the talk are available at
    http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/BSDCan2005.pdf . The plan is to commit
    this work to HEAD after 6.0 is released which means the first release
    that will have it is 7.0.

   Open tasks:

     1. hostapd needs work to support the IAPP and 802.11i
        preauthentication protocols (these are simple conversions of
        existing Linux code).