Egor Vyscrebentsov wrote:

> Good daytime!
>
> There is a problem in freeciv with recoding if string contains
> symbol that is not present in target charset. Resulted string is
> fully not recoded in this case.
>
> Detected on ru_RU.KOI8-R, gui-xaw civclient, civserver (!) are
> affected.

This is a known and longstanding bug.

If you use GNU libiconv (as opposed to glibc iconv) the name will be
transliterated (IIRC).  Or, if you use gui-gtk-2.0, utf-8 is used and
this is not a problem (not sure about gui-sdl but I strongly suggest it
use utf-8 also).  Or, if you use utf-8 as your local encoding then
gui-xaw will use that also.

gui-xaw could be backfitted to use utf-8 internally.  However this
requires using utf-8 versions of all string formatting functions in xaw
(hopefully this is possible).

-jason