I played a game (under Windows) where the base technology cost was as high
as possible (100 instead of the default 20).  After getting off my island
and establishing an embassy with my neighbor, I saw that their research
exceeded the cost of their current technology.  Using the embassy to look at
their technology revealed "Code of Laws (350/259)" or something like
that.  The overrun persisted for several turns without them finishing Code
of Laws.  I have save games if you want them.