Must be using old instructions.  Found some newer ones at:

   http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Install-MacOSX

There, it specifies putting them all in the CC variable:

   export CC="gcc -no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib"

Not traditional, but that works (at least it compiles with only warnings).

Still, CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS are the traditional method, and something is
definitely wrong with the configure....  I found PR#35785, so it's a
relatively new problem, but it's been reported before.

   http://bugs.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=35785

Also, note that the -W options appear twice on each command line.  Very odd!

Who's the configure/makefile expert for the project?