 We are using deprecated versions of AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

 Problem in upgrading is that new form of AC_INIT requires package
version. We use autoconf macros to seek version information from
version.in. Of course these macros cannot be used before AC_INIT.
 New form of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE will work only if new form of AC_INIT is in use.

 Good news is that version.in is now used only by configure.ac. So
there is no real need to wrap everything in language-independent
macros.

 These new forms have been available since autoconf 2.52g and at least
in automake 1.5, so all versions we currently support work with this.

 - ML