I don't get these errors, and I'm running on a G5 (64-bit) Mac.

Presumably, this is special to whatever compiler you're running, or
an architecture with a different pointer size from your integers.

Note that those (XtPointer) casts are problematic anyway, according to
the documentation....  That's why GTK2 uses macros for such things.

I know nothing about xaw programming, but couldn't the
advance_by_number(i) pointer be passed instead?

I've done some of that (conversion from ints) in the GTK2 code recently.

It's pretty silly to grab the index from the pointer, cram it into a
pointer, convert it back to an integer on the other side, then lookup the
original pointer!

Passing pointers in the first place would be better....