Regarding Google Groups access controls:

===Choose an Access level===
Public - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but only
members can post messages, view the members list, create pages and
upload files.

Announcement-only - Anyone can read the archives. Anyone can join, but
only managers can post messages, view the members list, create pages
and upload files.

Restricted - People must be invited to join the group. Only members
can post messages, read the archives, view the members list, create
pages and upload files. Your group and its archives do not appear in
public Google search results or the directory.

==

I created some 'freeciv' groups. Took me a couple of seconds:
http://groups.google.com/group/freeciv-announce
http://groups.google.com/group/freeciv-commits
http://groups.google.com/group/freeciv-dev
http://groups.google.com/group/freeciv-i18n

Play for yourselves and see if its good enough or not. I think it will
take less time than
arguing about it. :-)

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa