Hello,

I sent a proposal about a web client for Freeciv some time ago.
Now I've implemented a prototype / proof of concept.

It uses a webservice which allows a browser to communicate with a
civclient process on the server. The mapview is renederes using the canvas
element which is drawn upon using Javascript.

Screenshot:
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~andrearo/freeciv-web-client.png

Source code:
http://www.pvv.org/~andrearo/webclient.tar.bz2
http://www.pvv.org/~andrearo/architecture.png

Requirements:
csoap - http://csoap.sourceforge.net/
Apache Axis - http://ws.apache.org/axis/

It would be great with some feedback on the Freeciv C part of the
webservice. It is found under /client/gui-web. The performance still has a
way to go, perhaps someone has some suggestions.

It currently should work with any browser supporting the canvas
HTML element. This includes Firefox 1.5, Opera, Safari and even Internet
Explorer (using excanvas from Google).

  - Andreas