Some thoughts on this issue:

In turk.ruleset, all cities after Trabzon are in alphabetical order. I'd
much prefer them to be sorted in a less arbitrary fashion, for example
population or founding date.

In ottoman.ruleset: I'm hesitant about replacing the old city list here.
There was a point of having those obscure cities in the top of the list:
cities like Söğüt and Bilecik are supposed to be the birthplace of the
Osman dynasty. For non-modern nations, it's a good idea to sort cities
in order of founding, rather than later importance or size. Also, it'd
like to keep archaic names of cities, like "Kostantiniye" instead of
"Istanbul". Do you know any Ottoman Turkish? I'd be really cool if we
could give even more cities old names...

 ~Daniel