On 31/08/2007, Egor Vyscrebentsov  wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>
> >  This has actually advantages compared to one builddir configured for
> > several clients: configure options can differ between clients, you can
> > actually make several versions of the *same* client (ftwl -client with
> > different backends), you can use different compiler for some client
> > (cross-compiling gui-win32).
>
> Yes, there are many advantages in several builddirs, but we have to do
> same work several times (for example, generating packets_gen.) It is
> OK for x86_64, but I find it sad on old machines.

 Yes, we agree on that too :-)
 That was the reason I have (at least) considered that
--enable-client=gtk,sdl,xaw support.

 generate_packets.py currently produces files to source directory and
not to builddir (bug, of course, but hard to fix without breaking
something else). So it should run only once even when using several
builddirs.

 ccache helps a lot when compiling identical parts of several builddirs.

> First I thought that you have forgot something, but now I (hope)
> understand it: all clients should have generated Makefiles already
> (ie we already make autogen.sh/configure for each subdirectory.)
> This is good for compile testing, so thank you.

 Yes, I just got the idea of using such Makefile on top of my
builddirs when I read your previous mail.

 - ML