 I have always hated how ruleset loading code just exit() for any
error in ruleset (printing error message to server console, but
still).

 Now it appeared to me that:
 - If internally server quits like that, no explanation is provided
for user (client)
 - This can happen to end-user (with tested and released modpack)
simply because modpack is outdated, and incompatible with new Freeciv
version in use

 Without seeing code just now, I assume that handling those errors in
a sane way and returning to command prompt after ruleset load failure
is too complicated and bugprone rewrite for S2_1.
 S2_1 solution might be just to send chat message to all clients
before final exit().

 - ML