On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> * Streamline the tech tree! I'm looking at the Civ1 version and it's
> gorgeous - so easy on the eyes compared to the tangled mess that is
> the Civ2/default one. Less techs means quicker advancement and
> speedier game. Some parts are obviously redundant, like the
> Polytheism-Monotheism-Theology branch that seems quite detached from
> the rest. I'd also like to cut down on some of the incrementally
> improved unit types, like Catapult-Cannon-Artillery-Howitzer (in
> Korean there's not even a clear linguistic distinction between Cannon
> and Artillery!)

It could use a clean up. But you should see Warzone2100's tech tree ;)

> * Don't slow down game time! One game turn varying between 50 and 1
> years depending on how long you've been playing is IMHO
> counter-intuitive. Instead, we could for example start in 1000 BC and
> then keeping each turn at a constant 10 years. Then it'd take you 300
> turns to get to the year 2000, getting you to the modern era within a
> reasonable time frame.

Sounds good.

> * Put a stricter soft cap of the number of cities!

This one is really hard. A start would be to make cities easier to manage.
The city screen has way too many options and tabs. And if capitalization
didn't suck so much, it might be a nice alternative to limiting the number
of cities; they would be there, just would not do much.

> Oh, and another pet peeve of mine is that Bridge Building is required
> to build roads on river squares. This is just not user-friendly and
> probably leaves beginners clueless to why the R button doesn't work
> sometimes.

I agree.

   - Per

Carpe noctem