[brining the discussion off RT]
On 10/19/07, William Allen Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> > Keeping fixed tickets open until release has never been done by anyone
> > around here before, and your fixed-but-open tickets really did confuse
> > me sometimes too, so please be civil on people who misunderstand your
> > new, until now unannounced way of working with the ticket system.
> >
> Oh?  That's the way most every project I've participated in has always
> worked.  But I have to admit, this project seems to work a bit
> differently.  I've never been part of one that kept a release in beta
> for 2 years.  Usually, patches are made to trunk, and then "pulled up"
> into a release.
>
> Admittedly, I was around when NetBSD releases were considered too slow,
> and Theo split off OpenBSD with regular 6 month releases.  There can
> certainly be differences about how often to branch releases.
>
> But, as was the original topic, it is very, VERY bad form to close an
> active developer's tickets.  And I've never heard of a non-developer
> closing tickets at all!

What the bug tracker lacks IMO is a way to indicate that a bug
actually has been fixed, or a feature actually implemented the way it
was intended. I'd like to have a ticket status after "Resolved" that
indicates this; it could be called "Verified" or "Closed" for example.
Then we could form a Freeciv QA taskforce, comprised of those who
doesn't do much (any) coding but are concerned with Freeciv's overall
quality: myself and Christian K spring to mind.

As I'm not sure if it's possible to modify the main status field, I
just added a new sub-status for now: "resolved/verified". In short,
when a dev has applied their patch, they should use the
"resolved/patch-applied" sub-status. Now the QA taskforce takes a look
at it and if the bug is not reproducible in recent code or if the new
feature seems to be working, they change the sub-status and adds a
comment about tested revision of the code or release version
(important.)

Thoughts?

 ~Daniel