Admittedly, I'm hazy about what this color system actually accomplishes.
I've searched, and the RT patch descriptions have a tendency to detail
the content of a patch, but not the rationale!

At some time in the past, the terrain and tilespec names were the same.
Now, many terrain can use the same tile graphic, and the terrain and
resource rule (and translated) names are not unique.

The colors were moved (PR#13011) into client common code, and (PR#13047)
and (PR#13152) to the tilesets.  [Colors must have something to do with
individual clients?]

The color was changed (PR#13578) from the (unscalable hundreds of)
translated names to the rule names.

There have been problems (PR#34330) with assigning colors based on the
terrain rule name as new ocean was added.

There have been problems (PR#34527) with assigning colors based on the
terrain rule name when that differs between rulesets.

===

Here's my proposed solution: use the graphic tag instead.  That keeps
the scope of changes in the tilespec, and independent from any terrain
changes and ruleset differences.  Discuss.

[Anybody know what happened to Jason?]