> [wsimpson - Fr 16. Nov 2007, 09:32:20]:
>
> Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> > Not necessarily. It may also be something that has ceased to work as
> > intended, regardless of having been previously reported as a bug or
> > not.
> >
> Sorry, perhaps you're not a native English speaker (although I've no
> previous cause to complain), but these terms have specific meanings in
> computer science.  Sometimes, new bugs are just broken code....
>
> Regression testing is usually a suite of tests, usually developed by
> experience with previous bugs.  For more background, the en.wikipedia
> article isn't too bad.

Your suggested en.wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_testing) says:

"Regression bugs occur whenever software functionality that previously
worked as desired, stops working or no longer works in the same way that
was previously planned. Typically regression bugs occur as an unintended
consequence of program changes."

And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_regression:

"A software regression is a software bug which makes a feature stop
working after a certain event (system upgrade, system patching, daylight
saving time switch, etc.)"

This doesn't read like "re-introduction of a previously existing bug" to
me. It might be a special meaning of the word "regression", but
obviously not the "one and only".