I managed to take the Poles' capital and provoke civil war twice in
succession in a single game. Both times, Freeciv decided to name the
seceding faction as the Silesians, so the game ended up with two
identically-named but separate nations. It would be good if this could
be avoided.

In polish.ruleset, we have
  civilwar_nations = "lithuanian", "silesian", "ukrainian"
so it's not as if the server was pushed for choice (neither the
Lithuanians nor the Ukrainians had ever been in the game).

This would have been with one of the 2.1.0 betas (client and server); I
don't know precisely which one offhand, but I have the savegames, and
can probably guess what version I was using at the time.