Jason Short:
> [Jacob Nevins:]
> > There is a fair amount of error reportage on the client's stderr. This
> > seems to be disappointingly normal for this Linux system -- there are
> > some errors that show up for every X program -- but perhaps some of
> > them may be diagnostic; I haven't attempted to see if any of them are
> > correlated with the reported symptoms. I could dig deeper.
>
> You could send the stderr reports and we could glance through them.
> Most likely nothing useful will be there though.

OK, I've done this and I think there is a clue here.

Here's what I see on the console (stdout/stderr):

  Startup. I think the following is due to system misconfiguration. At
  least the BadDevice stuff is, it happens for every X client.

open /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
  Major opcode:  147
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
  Major opcode:  147
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device

(civclient:13234): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "pixmap",
  (this message x25)

  Now it's displaying the initial do-you-want-to-start-a-game-or-what
  screen.
  I load a savegame, select nation, and start the game.

2: Old attributes detected and removed.
  This probably isn't relevant to this bug, but this message appears to
  be generated by the game restore code. I note in passing that the
  savegame I'm loading was created by the same version of Freeciv,
  2.1.0, that I'm using to load it, so if this is a backwards
  compatibility measure it looks like something's gone wrong.

QPixmap::operator=: Cannot assign to pixmap during painting
  This error message comes up frequently during gameplay. It can even
  occur on repaints (Alt-Tab away and back). Since it appears to be
  something to do with Qt, and Freeciv doesn't touch Qt directly, I
  speculate that this would only be seen when running under KDE (which
  is what I'm doing, in case it wasn't obvious from the initial report).

  We get thousands of these QPixmap messages during about 2.5 hours of
  gameplay. Just before the point where I notice my symptoms occurring,
  these other messages appear at various intervals:

(civclient:13234): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x376242b unexpectedly destroyed

(civclient:13234): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x376242e unexpectedly destroyed

(civclient:13234): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x3764519 unexpectedly destroyed

(civclient:13234): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x3764523 unexpectedly destroyed

  At this point I notice that it's gone wonky and start preparing to
  save and quit. I get more errors mixed in with QPixmap nonsense, then
  a crash :(

(civclient:13234): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x3764576 unexpectedly destroyed

(civclient:13234): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x376450d unexpectedly destroyed

(civclient:13234): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x37645b8 unexpectedly destroyed

Segmentation fault

  It doesn't usually crash before I manage to save.
  Unfortunately, I don't have a coredump.