William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Christian Knoke wrote:
>> No, I didn't. Which PR number?
>>
> Your reply included the PR# in your second message, so we know you've
> previously seen it....

Please be polite.  Just because he asks a question that takes 10 seconds
to answer, instead of spending 5-10 minutes re-scanning old texts, is
not a good reason to be patronizing.  And you didn't answer the question.

>> 'Update' is misleading. It's rather 'change'. But you also have
>> 'change' in the production submenue.
>>
> As I suspected, a language problem.  Alter, Change, Edit, Modify, and
> Update are all relatively synonymous.  Update is a technically clearer
> choice here than change (which is a very ambiguous generic term).

Neither "update" nor "change" is synonymous with opening a popup window.
  Nor are any of the other synonyms.  In fact, nothing is updated or
changed when the button is pressed.

> The same would happen with any imperative command with many selections.
> Note that _Buy will cause a similar multiple incidents, and Cen_ter has
> no possible meaning (somebody should look at that).

Buy is supposed to have a confirmation dialog (not sure if it's per-city
or not).

> Perhaps Buy, Center, and Update should be grayed out whenever more than
> one city is selected.

The popup-city-dialog button should certainly NOT be greyed out when
multiple cities are chosen.  This is an oft-needed feature for some
players (to look closely at all cities fitting certain criteria).

Likewise buying in multiple cities is also quite useful at the later
stages of the game.

The center button could be deselected with multiple cities selected.

>> This is something I haven't really checked, or had had the time to do
>> up to now. Thank you for pointing out.
>>
> A language problem compounded by lack of understanding the menu system.
>
> You are welcome.  I look forward to your further feedback when you've
> checked *all* of the translations for possibilities (as I already did).
> Each translator is responsible for their own Alt-key conflict resolution.

This isn't a problem of translation, for as you've pointed out each
translator is responsible for their own conflict resolution.  All we
need to worry about therefore is the English system and in finding a way
for translators to reasonably be able to deal with shortcut conflict
resolution (currently impossible for most with a reasonable time
investment IMO).

The fact remains that "Update" as a synonym for "popup window" is a
non-starter.

-jason