William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Jason Dorje Short wrote:
>> Neither "update" nor "change" is synonymous with opening a popup window.
>>   Nor are any of the other synonyms.  In fact, nothing is updated or
>> changed when the button is pressed.

> As I explained earlier (and I wish you'd read the entire thread before
> replying), opening a popup window is a programming concept.  It is not a
> user concept.

Opening a window is a user concept.  "popup", itself, is not even a word.

I have not read any apple HIG and have only skimmed the gnome HIG, but I
find it hard to believe it doesn't say that actions should be
self-explanatory.

> Select does not select anything, it brings up a floating menu.

Speaking as a user I have no idea what that does without trying it.

> Display does not display anything, it brings up a floating checklist.

Speaking as a user I have no idea what that does without trying it.

> Update does not update anything, it brings up a floating window.  Nobody
> cares that it is called a "popup" window in GTK (and has other names in
> other GUI environments).

Speaking as a user I have no idea what that does without trying it.

-jason