> [wsimpson - Mon Nov 26 13:20:04 2007]:
>
> As noted elsewhere, the second item in the main menu bar should be
> _Edit.

However, as noted yet elsewhere, menu and button labels should preferably be
analogies of game world concepts. To "edit" is something I associate with
publishing, not the running of a country.

We've been trying to move away from the 'Freeciv-looks-like-a-spreadsheet-
app' image for a long time now. This would IMO be a move in the wrong
direction.

How about something like Council or Throne Room or Assembly etc. Please
give suggestions!

> At some time the the not-too-distant past, somebody changed _Edit to
> Gover_nment in GTK2, or Gov_ernment in win32, and who knows what else.
>
> This is bad from a UI standpoint, or from Human Interface Guidelines.
> It
> conflicts with several tabs and other screens.
>
> _Government, G_overnment, Go_vernment, Gove_rnment, Gover_nment,
> Govern_ment,
> and Governmen_t all conflict.  This was a very poor choice for the
> main menu.

This is certainly a problem. On the other hand, picking a label shouldn't IMO
be
based on the keyboard shortcut that could be made for it, but rather the
clarity
and accuracy of the string. In the worst case, there are always solutions like
Government (_X) or whatever.

> The _Edit msgid is still present in most 2.1 po file's #~ sections,
> and will
> be relatively easy to change back.

Please don't change this in 2.1. I wouldn't want such a high-visibility string
change with a maintenance release. It would cause confusion that is out of
proportion to the issue it's solving.

> There is only one item in the menu that has anything to do with
> Government
> or changing government, and it has its own key!  I'd put it in next to
> the
> Government icon in the main panel, instead.

Do you mean Revolution?

> We should combine the rest with Editor menu items in 2.2.

How about putting the Editor functions under Game? Toggle editor mode and
Show editor panel could be kept at the top level while the rest could be
relegated to a submenu. It wouldn't add too much complexity to the menu IMO.

 ~Daniel