Your last patch looks like it does what it says it does.  And I agree
the current code is broken (modifying a unit list inside the list
iterator is a no-no, that's what iterate_safe is for, but even with
iterate_safe the behavior is broken as it just selected different units
repeatedly).

What I question is why you'd want the behavior to be that way when there
are multiple units selected.  Say I have 5 units on 5 different tiles
selected...what use would be a quickselect that gives me 5 different
land units, one per tile?  I thought the purpose of quickselect was to
give just ONE unit for quick action in multiplayer games.

In that context I would think the key_quickselect action should just
pick one unit on one tile to bring into focus.  The question then
becomes (when the battlegroup spans multiple tiles), which tile to
choose.  I'm no expect on multiplayer freeciv but I'd think the tile
nearest the center of the screen would be the most likely to be the one
the player wants.

-jason